Skip to main content

Forget Me Not

A note from the editor:

Experiences, things, people, faith, and absences define us. Those of us who have made religion a large part of our lives can hardly fathom where we would be without it. For me, faith is how I make sense of the world.

Mormon feminist Cecilia Konchar Farr wrote regarding her upbringing that "Mormonism was then and continues to be my conduit into the universe, my access to personal spirituality, to healing faith, and to empowering theology. It pushes the limits of my intellect, reminding me that there are many ways to construct and perceived truth, many, many of them beyond my power of understanding."

I know that not everyone raised in or converted to the LDS faith stays such, and I recognize the choice to leave is not an easy one, though neither is staying. Regardless of whether one is a "practicing Mormon" or not, I believe that experiences with our faith never completely leave us. That whatever faith we had at one point is never completely gone. That even when seemingly absent, our faith is still a part of us.

Let us keep broadening our idea of who is part of our community and who is our neighbor. Let us love others wherever they are and wherever we are.









story 8 of many.








Do you ever forget? Will you ever stop thinking about it while waiting in line at the grocery store, while walking to your car after work, while packing your lunch-box in the morning? How many years until you stop thinking of it every day?

My mom died about 16 years ago. I’m  23. And so I’ve lived the vast majority of my life without her. Only 7 years. She was my mom for a mere 7 years. After so much time I wonder, when will I stop thinking of myself as a girl with a dead mom?

There are some who would perhaps not call me Mormon. I’m writing this at a coffee shop, I’m drinking espresso, I haven’t been to church in at least two years. A perfect Friday night for me is buying a bottle of wine to share with my husband while we watch TV.

But will I ever forget?

Three years ago my third year of college had just begun, and I knew I no longer had the beliefs I used to have. I walked around campus one Friday in the fall; I had spent months hoping to find a place for my beliefs in the church. It was on this particular Friday, I came home to an empty apartment after school and work. Lying on my bed, watching the sun go down out my window, I cried for three hours. I knew it wasn’t for me. Not anymore. I had to follow the path that felt most true, and the Church was not on that path anymore for me. If I learned one thing in church, it was to have the faith to stand with truth, even if no one else stands with you.
It was a loss that shook my whole body. As I cried that night, I felt my insides rattling around, my head pounding. I was sweating through all my clothes. Snot was smeared all over my face and pillow. I wanted my Father in Heaven, to whom I had prayed every night of my life, to send some kind of message. “Change your mind!” I hoped He would say. “It’s not too late!” I wanted a heavenly messenger to appear in my room and beg me to stay.

But no one appeared. It is my belief that any higher power that was aware of me in that moment, was aware of how much strength it took to make a decision like that all alone. They would be proud of me for getting through that lonely night.

That night is not going to leave my memory any time soon. And I’m not going to forget the sound of each hymn that has sang me to sleep when I had no other way to calm down. I’m not going to forget the primary lessons that taught me to ask when I lack wisdom. I’ll always ask questions.

I won’t forget the people who remembered me--who showed up with food, flowers, comforting words when needed--because they had included me in their idea of community. It is a divine thing to include someone in your community.

I won’t forget the example of Christ healing the world because of love. Dying for us, crying for us, saving us by caring about us.

It was my Mormon experience that gave much of what I am--the good and the bad. So when will I no longer be a part of Mormonism? When I no longer have the parts of me that were formed in its belly.

I ask myself, when will I stop thinking of myself as a girl with a dead mother? When I no longer have the parts of myself that were formed in her belly.



Comments

Popular Posts

The Millennial Mormon Project

John Steinbeck wrote, “We are lonesome animals. We spend all our life trying to be less lonesome. One of our ancient methods is to tell a story begging the listener to say —and to feel—'Yes, that’s the way it is, or at least that’s the way I feel it.  You’re not as alone as you thought. '” The Millennial Mormon Project aims to  promote understanding, community, and empathy.   It hopes to show that there are fewer Mormon norms than we like to imagine. It is not easy to feel that you are the only one living your individual life, but I believe there is great power in knowing someone else has gone through or is experiencing similar emotions, obstacles, and triumphs. Millennials (those born approximately between 1980 and 2000) have often intimately felt the impacts of recent social, technological, religious, and political change. The world has become both a more connected and more isolating place for many of us.  This project aspires to fight isolation and nourish co

Joy in the Journey

A note from the editor: I gave one of my friends some advice this summer that was part facetious, part wisdom: " To live a happy life, have low expectations and high hopes. " We practiced what that looked like. He told me that he expected to die alone in a basement working on an impossible computer program, but he hoped that he would be the world's youngest billionaire and travel the world. Hopefully reality hits somewhere in the middle.  Expecting one kind of life that you don't get can lead to confusion and disappointment, but learning to love your life regardless of whether it's alone in a basement or traveling the world, married or single, is a valuable skill.  LDS blogger Ariel Szuch wrote, "Just because I love summer mornings doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a walk on a winter evening too. Every stage of life is a season, and with each transition, we trade one set of joys and struggles for another. T he trick is to develop the habit of choosing happine

Life: It's not a Game

A note from the editor: I invite my friends, in the words of BYU professor Dr. Lori Wadsworth, to "move in to see those who struggle with doubts or grief and still want to fit in. Move in to see how amazing people are regardless of where they are on their faith journey." Move in to see some thoughts that Mormon millennials have written about their lives. I want to reiterate: no story looks the same. The goal of these stories is to give voice to men and women, those who are married and those who are single, those with kids and those without, those who are straight and those who are gay, the conservative and the liberal, the faithful and the doubtful--and all gray areas in between these categories. Every person faces different spiritual, physical, and emotional challenges and I hope each story helps us think more compassionately about our friends and family as we move in closer and sit with them for a few minutes.  Again from Lori Wadsworth: "What are we d