Skip to main content

Typical [tip-i-kuh l]: adjective, not me.


A note from the editor: 
Is there a typical? Maybe, maybe not. Is there a "too late" to do something? Sometimes, sometimes not. We all run across unexpected delays and obstacles in our life plans, but that doesn't have to ruin the greater whole. We are all on different timelines, fighting different spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical foes, but we can be united as we celebrate individual victories, which could span from changing a lightbulb to graduating college to learning how to love our whole selves. 

In the words of Loretta Randall Sharp, the community of God [a.k.a. the human race] is not one of "clones": for "if we allow ourselves instruction from heavenly beings in different ways, and if we celebrate rather than fear differences in one another, we will do as our Heavenly Father commands: we will become one." 


So sit with this friend for a few minutes and become one. 

Story 2 of many.

Typical [tip-i-kuhl]: adjective, not me.

            My life after high school graduation seemed anything but typical.  When I walked at graduation, I was not actually done with high school yet. During my senior year, my OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) had gotten so bad that I had to be pulled out of school for several months because I could hardly function doing simple tasks such as washing my hands and eating, let alone attending school and completing homework.  No matter how hard it got though, I was determined to make it back to school in order to be able to walk at graduation, which I was able to do with time to spare.  It still seems quite miraculous that I managed to make such a quick turn-around, but with a combination of medication and a crush on a girl (never underestimate the power of either of those), it proved to be surmountable.  Since I had missed so much school, there were some final assignments and tests I had to make up in order to get my diploma, which I worked very hard on in the months following graduation.

            I attended school in California for my first three years of high school and then my family moved to Oklahoma for a few years. My older brother went on a mission in Nagoya Japan soon after I graduated.  He is the oldest in our family and I am the second oldest, so it goes without saying that he and I had been pretty close growing up, since we were only one grade apart all through school.  He had started learning some Japanese in high school and persuaded me to do so as well, which wasn’t hard because I love languages, though I only knew French and Spanish at the time. These experiences helped me continue my lifelong passion for language.

            My family moved to Washington after my brother returned from his mission. At this time, going to college or on a mission were the last things on my mind.  To explain it succinctly, I just simply needed a break from school after grueling high school days with Sundays as a brief respite from the unbearable demands of school. This “little break” turned into a “very extended break,” which continued for the next ten years until I started school as a 27-year-old freshman at BYU.  (insert dramatic pause). There was always one other thing that kept getting put off during these years too: going on a mission.  The reason I kept putting off filling out my mission papers was because my parents and I wanted to make sure I was in the best possible health mentally for a mission. In case you didn’t realize this, missions are kind of hard on every level, so I wanted to be ready.  My younger brothers also got into the mission delay “flow,” but seven years after I’d graduated from high school, my parents encouraged all three of us to go on missions at the same time. Somehow that worked: all three mission calls came in the mail on the same day.  Each of us opened our respective calls one by one: one of my brothers was called to Atlanta, Georgia; the other was called to Jacksonville, Florida; and I was called to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  All three of us English-speaking. 

Because I’d spent a lot of timing learning and loving languages, I was very disappointed that I hadn’t been called to a foreign country, or at least foreign-language speaking (like Spanish) somewhere in the US.  I managed to swallow my pride and prepared to head out to the MTC.  Our sister got married that year too and so all four of us siblings went to the temple and received our endowments at the same time. Going through the temple for the first time was in no way what I had expected. Some might call it bewildering. That’s not an understatement, although I can’t quite say what I actually was expecting it to be like. Nonetheless, I enjoyed attending my sister’s sealing before leaving for the MTC.  

            Our whole family drove the three of us missionaries down to Provo, UT to drop us off at the Missionary Training Center.  Unfortunately, our family missionary fairy tale story got complicated and both of my brothers went home during their MTC time. When I found out, I was so devastated and felt all alone in the world (i.e. in the MTC).  A little miracle happened for me though during this time too. Somehow word got around that I could speak a few other languages (my teachers were always getting on me for always talking to other missionaries in any language other than English), so I was called in to have a brief conversation to test my Spanish abilities.  They must have been impressed because the next thing I knew,  they asked, “What would you think about changing your call to Spanish-speaking?”  I responded, “That would be amazing!”  I exchanged all of my mission materials from English to Spanish, got new Spanish-speaking companions, and turned 25. The missionaries from my English-speaking district drew me a birthday cake on the chalkboard with “Happy birthday!” written in various languages to commemorate my love for languages, which meant a lot to me.

My mission time in Pennsylvania turned out to be much shorter than I had expected.  After about a month, I experienced what’s called a “manic episode” (which was related to me having been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder a certain amount of time prior to heading out on my mission). This resulted in scaring my companion half-to-death in the middle of the night, which led to him calling the zone leaders, who came over immediately. This was followed by my mission president paying a visit the following morning, which was when I was taken to a hospital near the mission office. I stayed there for a week or two, after which I was sent home for medical reasons. I was so disappointed and ashamed after coming home early (which is apparently fairly common) that it eventually led to an extended period of deep depression.  I so much wanted to go back out and complete my mission, but alas, it was not meant to be.  That shame of coming home early from my mission has haunted me ever since, and I still feel out of place whenever I’m with a group of people swapping mission stories.  Yet out of the ashes of all that sadness and disappointment emerged my determination to go to school at Brigham Young University and earn a college degree, however “behind” I may have felt. 

That journey started about two years after coming home early from my mission and recently concluded after an 8-year sojourn at BYU (ending at age 35). Now I have a double BA in Spanish and German Studies and an MA in Spanish (Hispanic Literatures) to prove it.  I have always wondered what my life would have been like if I had actually been “normal” and started college or a mission right after high school, yet I am grateful to have been at BYU when I was because I would have never met the same amazing people otherwise and had the same perspective and experiences.  Life after college is still uncertain at the moment, but I’m determined to keep giving life all I’ve got for as long as I am privileged to live in this fleeting mortal existence and beyond into the never-ending eternities forever and ever.  Until then, farewell/adiós/adieu/さようなら/tschüss/adeus/addio/hej då/tot ziens//до свидания/γεια, et al ad infinitum.
Story 2 of many.



Comments

  1. Wow, I relate to this post so strongly. I graduated high school with my Associate's Degree when I was 17. Because I was so young, I freaked out at the idea of declaring a major (I was 17! I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up! It was scary!) so I dropped out of BYU and it took me until age 27 before I was able to go back. I've now been in school for 5 years and I feel like a complete failure for not being done yet. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in taking longer than normal to complete my degree.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Millennial Mormon Project

John Steinbeck wrote, “We are lonesome animals. We spend all our life trying to be less lonesome. One of our ancient methods is to tell a story begging the listener to say —and to feel—'Yes, that’s the way it is, or at least that’s the way I feel it.  You’re not as alone as you thought. '” The Millennial Mormon Project aims to  promote understanding, community, and empathy.   It hopes to show that there are fewer Mormon norms than we like to imagine. It is not easy to feel that you are the only one living your individual life, but I believe there is great power in knowing someone else has gone through or is experiencing similar emotions, obstacles, and triumphs. Millennials (those born approximately between 1980 and 2000) have often intimately felt the impacts of recent social, technological, religious, and political change. The world has become both a more connected and more isolating place for many of us.  This project aspires to fight isolation and nourish co

Joy in the Journey

A note from the editor: I gave one of my friends some advice this summer that was part facetious, part wisdom: " To live a happy life, have low expectations and high hopes. " We practiced what that looked like. He told me that he expected to die alone in a basement working on an impossible computer program, but he hoped that he would be the world's youngest billionaire and travel the world. Hopefully reality hits somewhere in the middle.  Expecting one kind of life that you don't get can lead to confusion and disappointment, but learning to love your life regardless of whether it's alone in a basement or traveling the world, married or single, is a valuable skill.  LDS blogger Ariel Szuch wrote, "Just because I love summer mornings doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a walk on a winter evening too. Every stage of life is a season, and with each transition, we trade one set of joys and struggles for another. T he trick is to develop the habit of choosing happine

Life: It's not a Game

A note from the editor: I invite my friends, in the words of BYU professor Dr. Lori Wadsworth, to "move in to see those who struggle with doubts or grief and still want to fit in. Move in to see how amazing people are regardless of where they are on their faith journey." Move in to see some thoughts that Mormon millennials have written about their lives. I want to reiterate: no story looks the same. The goal of these stories is to give voice to men and women, those who are married and those who are single, those with kids and those without, those who are straight and those who are gay, the conservative and the liberal, the faithful and the doubtful--and all gray areas in between these categories. Every person faces different spiritual, physical, and emotional challenges and I hope each story helps us think more compassionately about our friends and family as we move in closer and sit with them for a few minutes.  Again from Lori Wadsworth: "What are we d